Ecuador is known for having the best tourist places in the world. From majestic churches built thousands of years ago, to incredible volcanoes in the Ecuadorian Andes, to mysterious caves in the Amazon, Ecuador is known for having some of the best tourist sites in the world.
In this review know the 10 best tourist places in Ecuador that you must visit. Each tourist place has its history and we are going to tell you about it along with a description of how you can visit these places, their prices, and opening hours. Remember that at Responsible Travel we have customized travel packages for Ecuador.
What is Ecuador famous for?
Ecuador is famous for its diverse natural beauty, including the Galapagos Islands, the Amazon rainforest, and the Andes Mountains. It is also known for its rich cultural heritage, including its indigenous cultures and its colonial architecture. Here are some of the things Ecuador is famous for:
Mitad del mundo – Ecuador monument
Mitad del Mundo (Middle of the World) is a popular tourist destination in Ecuador, located about 26 kilometers north of Quito. The site is marked by a large monument that straddles the equator, and visitors can experience the effects of the equator firsthand by standing with one foot in each hemisphere. You can visit Mitad del Mundo with a Quito City Tour.
Here are some of the things you can do at Mitad del Mundo:
- Stand on the equator and have your picture taken with one foot in each hemisphere.
- Visit the Mitad del Mundo Monument, which is a 30-meter-tall obelisk that marks the location of the equator.
- Explore the Mitad del Mundo Ethnographic Museum, which exhibits artifacts and exhibits about Ecuadorian culture.
- Take a ride on the Mitad del Mundo Train, which takes you on a journey through the Ecuadorian countryside.
- Visit the Pululahua Geobotanical Reserve, which is a crater that is home to a variety of plants and animals.
Mitad del Mundo is open from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM daily. The entrance fee is $5 for adults and $2 for children.
Otavalo Market – Indigenous Ecuadorian Market
Otavalo Market is a large indigenous market located in the town of Otavalo, Ecuador. The market is known for its textiles, handicrafts, and souvenirs. It is one of the largest and most famous markets in South America. This market is very visited by foreigners and is recognized as a tourist place in Ecuador.
Here are some of the things you can buy at Otavalo Market:
- Textiles: Otavalo is famous for its textiles, which are made from alpaca, llama, and sheep wool. You can buy ponchos, sweaters, bags, and other textiles at the market.
- Handicrafts: The market also sells a variety of handicrafts, such as jewelry, pottery, and woodcarvings.
- Souvenirs: You can also buy souvenirs at the market, such as magnets, T-shirts, and hats.
Here are some tips for visiting Otavalo Market:
- The market is open every day, but it is busiest on Saturdays.
- Be prepared to bargain. The vendors expect you to haggle over prices.
- Bring cash. The market does not accept credit cards.
- Wear comfortable shoes. You will be doing a lot of walking.
Otavalo Market is open from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM daily. The entrance fee is free.
Parc National Cotopaxi,
Cotopaxi National Park is a popular Andes tourist place in Ecuador, located about 2 hours south of Quito. The park is home to Cotopaxi, the second-highest active volcano in the world, as well as a variety of other mountains, forests, and glaciers.
Here are some of the things you can do in Cotopaxi National Park:
- Hike to the summit of Cotopaxi. This is a challenging hike that should only be attempted by experienced hikers.
- Visit the Limpiopamba Visitor Center. This center has exhibits about the park’s geology, wildlife, and history.hide_image
- Go horseback riding or mountain biking. These are great ways to explore the park’s beautiful scenery.
- Go camping or fishing. There are several campgrounds and fishing spots in the park.
Here are some other things to keep in mind when planning your trip to Cotopaxi National Park:
- The weather can change quickly, so it is important to be prepared for all conditions.
- The altitude can be high, so it is important to acclimatize before you start hiking.
- There are a limited number of permits available for hiking to the summit of Cotopaxi, so it is important to book your permit in advance.
Cotopaxi National Park is open from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM daily. The entrance fee is $20 for adults and $10 for children.
Les îles Galapagos
The Galapagos Islands are an archipelago of volcanic origin located about 1,000 kilometers off the coast of Ecuador. The islands are famous for their unique wildlife, which inspired Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution.
Here are some of the best things to do in the Galapagos Islands:
- Visit the Charles Darwin Research Station: The Charles Darwin Research Station is a scientific research station located on Santa Cruz Island. The station conducts research on the Galapagos Islands’ wildlife and helps to protect the islands’ ecosystem.
- Go snorkeling or diving: The Galapagos Islands are home to a variety of colorful fish and marine life. Snorkeling and diving are great ways to see the islands’ underwater world.
- Hiking: The Galapagos Islands have a variety of hiking trails that offer stunning views of the island’s volcanoes and landscapes.
- Visit the giant tortoises: The Galapagos Islands are home to giant tortoises, which are one of the islands’ most iconic animals. There are several places where you can see giant tortoises, including the Charles Darwin Research Station and the Galapagos National Park.
- Go wildlife watching: The Galapagos Islands are home to a variety of wildlife, including penguins, iguanas, and sea lions. You can see these animals in their natural habitat by going on a wildlife-watching tour.
The Galapagos Islands are open year-round, but the best time to visit is during the dry season, which runs from June to December. The dry season is when the weather is most pleasant and the visibility for snorkeling and diving is best.
The entrance fee to the Galapagos Islands is $100 for adults and $50 for children. The fee helps to fund conservation efforts in the Galapagos Islands.
Baños de Agua Santa – Tourist City in Ecuador
Baños is a popular tourist destination in Ecuador, located in the Andes Mountains. The town is known for its hot springs and its adventure activities, such as whitewater rafting, canyoning, and hiking.
Here are some of the things you can do in Baños:
- Visit the Pailón del Diablo (Devil’s Cauldron), a natural waterfall that is popular for canyoning.
- Go whitewater rafting on the Pastaza River.
- Hike to the Devil’s Nose (Nariz del Diablo), a viewpoint that offers stunning views of the town and the surrounding mountains.
- Soak in the hot springs at Termas de la Virgen.
- Visit the Butterfly Farm, which is home to a variety of butterflies.
Baños is open year-round, but the best time to visit is during the dry season, which is from June to September. The town is also a popular destination during the Easter holidays.
The entrance fee to Pailón del Diablo is $6 for adults and $3 for children. The cost of whitewater rafting varies depending on the company you go with, but it is typically around $50 per person. The hike to the Devil’s Nose is free, but you will need to pay a small fee to park your car. The entrance fee to Termas de la Virgen is $10 for adults and $5 for children. The entrance fee to the Butterfly Farm is $5 for adults and $3 for children.
Amazon Rainforest – Ecuador
Amazon Rainforest is the largest rainforest in the world and covers about 40% of Ecuador’s landmass. It is home to a variety of wildlife, including jaguars, monkeys, snakes, and birds. Visitors can go on jungle hikes, canoe rides, and animal-watching tours.
Here are some of the things you can do in the Amazon Rainforest:
- Go on a jungle hike and experience the amazing biodiversity of the rainforest.
- Take a canoe ride down a river and spot wildlife such as monkeys, caimans, and pink dolphins.
- Go on an animal-watching tour and see jaguars, tapirs, and other animals in their natural habitat.
- Stay in an Amazon lodge and learn about the rainforest from the local people.
- Visit a traditional Amazonian village and learn about their culture.
The Amazon Rainforest is open year-round, but the best time to visit is during the dry season (June to December). The entrance fee to the Amazon Rainforest varies depending on the location.
Here are some of the popular Amazon rainforest tourist destinations in Ecuador:
- Cuyabeno National Park: Cuyabeno National Park is located in the northeastern part of Ecuador and is home to a variety of wildlife, including jaguars, monkeys, and caimans.
- Napo Wildlife Center: Napo Wildlife Center is a private reserve located in the Napo River basin. The reserve offers a variety of activities, such as jungle hikes, canoe rides, and animal-watching tours.
- Mawai Amazon Lodge: Mawai Amazon Lodge is an eco-friendly lodge located in the Yasuni National Park. The lodge offers a variety of activities, such as jungle hikes, canoe rides, and yoga classes.
- Yaku Sacha: Yaku Sacha is an Amazonian research center located in the Amazon rainforest. The center offers educational tours and programs about the rainforest.
What is the number one tourist place in Ecuador?
The number one tourist destination in Ecuador is the Les îles Galapagos. The islands are a UNESCO World Heritage Site and are known for their unique wildlife, including giant tortoises, penguins, and iguanas. Visitors can go on snorkeling and diving trips, hike to lava tunnels, and visit the Charles Darwin Research Station.
The second most popular tourist destination in Ecuador is the Amazon rainforest. The rainforest is the largest rainforest in the world and is home to a variety of wildlife, including jaguars, monkeys, and snakes. Visitors can go on jungle hikes, canoe rides, and animal-watching tours.
We hope you liked this article about the best tourist places in Ecuador. Don’t forget that you can book a personalized Ecuador Tour with Responsible Travel.
We recommend you to read the following articles if you are traveling to Ecuador: